Collaboration Service Project
This assignment requires the candidates to take the role of lead special educator in their building, and they are to organize a presentation regarding collaboration in special education to the general education faculty in their building. Candidates are expected to collect the information for their presentation through interviews with teachers, para professionals, community service providers, related service providers and administrators. The candidate must also conduct classroom observations and attend school-community partnership opportunities and other collaboration opportunities. After collecting the information, the candidate must develop a multimedia presentation to present to the faculty. The candidate must then present it at a faculty meeting or a grade level or content specific meeting. The candidate is expected to have these presentations recorded and a copy of the recording turned in with their multimedia presentation. The site mentor must approve the final assignment prior to submission to professor. Candidates are given the following guidelines for their presentation:
Title: Collaboration Service Project (use the name of your school district) School District.
· Presented by: (your name).
· School District Facts: Name, city, state, number of students, number of students with list of school buildings, and grades served within each building.
· Name of building that you currently teach in. If not currently teaching, select a desired building.
· Define collaboration.
· Give an overview of the various teams that operate within your building.
· For each team:
· Give name of team.
· Describe the purpose of the team.
· List the different participants.
· Describe role of the different participants.
Examples of possible teams: IEP, RTI, Co-Teaching, Grade Level Teams, PBIS teams, Student Assistant Teams, Curriculum Teams
· If Co-teaching is used in your building, provide a description of how it is used, including the subject areas, grade levels and teachers involved.
· Describe how your building addresses collaboration with parents and parents of children with special needs.
· Describe how paraprofessionals are utilized in your building.
· Describe the process for referring, evaluating and placing students into special education within your building. What is the role of the special educator? What is the role of the general educator? What is the role of the building administrator? What is the role of the parent? Who is the contact person for starting the referral process? What is the timeline from the time the student is referred until special education services are initiated?
· How are co teaching and collaboration assessed and monitored in your school? Provide quantitative evidence
· Provide a list of related service providers utilized for providing special education services to students within your building (ex: physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech/language therapist, social worker)?
· Community Based Service Providers: These are providers (other than your school district) of services that exist within the community. This should include a list of the following:
· Parent advocacy/support organization serving families of children with special needs
· Area Vocational Rehabilitation Representative
· Family Counseling/Mental Health
· Related Services Providers (Ex: Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech/Language Therapy)