The purpose of this assignment is to create the purpose, scope, situation overview, and assumptions sections of an EOP basic plan.
Write a purpose statement that sets the foundation for the rest of the EOP and explains what the EOP is meant to do. Your written statement should be supported by a brief synopsis (250-300 words) of the basic plan.
Scope: Explicitly state the scope of emergency, disaster response, the entities (e.g., departments, agencies, private sector, citizens), and geographic areas to which the plan applies (250-300 words).
Situation Overview (300-500 words): Write a situation overview section to characterize the “planning environment” and make it clear why an EOP is necessary. At a minimum, summarize the primary hazards faced by the jurisdiction and discuss how the jurisdiction expects to receive (or provide) assistance within its Yourtown response structures. Support your data with research, evidence and data, citing at least three sources. The situation overview section shall include a general discussion of:
1. Relative probability and impact of the hazards
2. Geographic areas likely to be affected by particular hazards
3. Vulnerable critical facilities (e.g., schools, hospitals, infrastructure)
4. Population distribution and locations including any concentrated populations of individuals with disabilities, others with access and functional needs, individuals with limited English proficiency, and any unaccompanied minors and children in daycare and school settings
5. Capabilities and limitations to prepare for and respond to the defined hazards
6. Recommended actions to minimize an incident’s impacts, including short- and long-term strategies. Since this is a capstone, you may relate previous mitigations discussed in your previous EMM classes.
Planning Assumptions: Identify and describe what your planning team should assume to be factual for planning purposes in order to make it possible to execute the EOP. During operations, these assumptions should indicate areas of the plan where adjustments need to be made as the facts of the incident become known. These assumptions also provide the opportunity to communicate the intent of Yourtown senior official(s) regarding emergency operation priorities. Support the planning assumptions with evidence and data, citing at least three sources (250-300 words).
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
MS Leadership in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
4.4 Integrate evidence and data into a systematic and evolving approach to emergency management practice.