Week 1: Barriers to Practice
Preparing the Discussion
Using the readings from this week as well as reliable outside resources to:
1. Identify and describe practice barriers for all four APNs’ roles in your state FLORIDA and discuss these barriers on a state and national level. The four roles include the nurse midwife, nurse anesthetist, nurse practitioner, and clinical nurse specialist.
2. Identify forms of competition on the state and national level that interfere with APNs’ ability to practice independently.
3. Identify the specific lawmakers by name at the state level (i.e., key members of the state’s legislative branch and executive branch of government)
4. Discuss interest groups that exist at the state and national levels that influence APN policy.
5. Discuss methods used to influence change in policy in forms of competition, state legislative and executive branches of government, and interest groups.
6. A scholarly resource must be used for EACH discussion question each week.