Assessment 3 is an individual report based on comprehensive analysis of a case study.
A case study is based on a real event (or construction of event that could take place) in an organisation. Usually, the main character (or characters) is facing a problem, challenge or opportunity. Case studies are useful for applying what you learn to real world situations.
The case study for this assessment is Not As Easy as 1,2,3 and available on BB in Assessment 3 folder.
This assessment has two parts:
1. Facilitation | Group |20%
2. Report | Individual | 30%
1. Facilitation | Group | 25 minutes |worth 20% Students will be allocated into groups and able to select an organisational behaviour’ topic/theme. Using the case study, textbook and additional sources, your group is to deliver a 25 minute facilitation during the workshop. The ‘theme’ will correspond with the weekly topic. Remember that this is a facilitation – not a presentation – innovative facilitation techniques will be discussed in the workshops. Students will be aware of the case study, so you do not need to re-tell the case study as part of the presentation.
The facilitation should outline:
· A theory (or theories) linked to the topic area, explaining the theory and relevance to the case.
· Outline other situations when this topic might relate to the workplace, drawing on your team’s own work experiences
· Suggestions for how work situations might be better managed in light of the theories.
The facilitations will cover the following topics/themes:
· Decision Making
· Conflict & Negotiation
· Leadership in organisational settings
Students need to participate in this formative activity to be able to complete the report.
You are required to complete a self and peer-assessment form and email to your tutor on the day of your facilitation. The self and peer assessment form can be accessed on BB under the assessments tab. Please note that this form is not marked but important for ensuring fairness in marks provided to group members.
2. Report| Individual | 30%: Your assessment will be a 3000 word written report that includes the following:
Part A: Case study analysis
A comprehensive critical analysis of the case study, incorporating any 3 topics/ themes, with help of relevant OB concepts and research, should be provided. Please note that you need to identify important issues, as related to the 3 topics/themes chosen, and offer recommendations to solve the problems based on relevant OB concepts, theories and research and not restrict yourself to your facilitation topic only. As such, you are strongly recommended to attend all facilitations by all groups as this would help you to produce a more comprehensive analysis of the case study by integrating various topics in your report. You will use a mix of scholarly and practitioner journal articles to analyse the main problems and offer recommendations to the problems. (2000 words)
PART B: Critical refection on team processes using OB theories
B1. You will reflect on and critically evaluate your group dynamics using either ‘Tuckman’s Model’ or ‘Punctuated Equilibrium Model’ of team development. (500 words)
B2. You will reflect on and critically evaluate your own performance and contribution to the case study analysis process within the group using the concept of ‘team roles’. This will provide you an opportunity to reflect on your role in the team. (500 words)
The report should cite at least twelve peer-reviewed journal articles in addition to the textbook and other non-scholarly resources to get a high grade.
You should use Chicago 17B referencing style for this report. Please note that both Part A and Part B need to be supported by OB theories and research with appropriate citations.
A task sheet has been provided as a guide to the expected content and structure.
You will submit your report via a Turnitin submission link that will be provided to you closer to the individual report submission due date