The AC paper must be prepared based upon the following guidelines:
• Paper must not surpass 15 pages, double spaced.
• The entire paper should be written in essay format.
• The report must be written in third person.
• No bulleting or quotes allowed.
• Maximum page length must not be exceeded for each section (indicated in parentheses).
• The font must be 12 point.
• The entire document must be in the same font.
• Paper must have one-inch standard margins.
• The font must be a standard publishing font (Times New Roman, etc.).
• All pages must be numbered; place numbers in top right corner.
• All references and in text citations must comply with APA guidelines, 7th Edition
• A table of contents must be included (should include appendices).
• All references should be added at the end of the report.
• After references, add appendices, organized by Appendix A, Appendix B, etc. A new appendix must start on the next page.
The AC paper will be the result of information provided throughout the MPH program. The paper must not exceed 15 pages in length (excluding cover page, reference, and appendices) and contain the following sections:
1. Cover Page- The cover page should contain the title of your paper, course number, and date of submission. This APA Guideline (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.) could be helpful for setting-up your paper in adequate APA format. Do not include your name on the paper since it is graded blindly by public health faculty.
2. Table of Contents – All components of the paper should be included with page numbers. Pages should be numbered consecutively through all sections, including appendices.
3. Organizational Overview and Program Planning Model (Section 1) – During your internship, you have worked within an organization that provides health services. Provide an overview of the organization, services, and population(s) served. Describe the mission of the organization in parenthesis (the only quote that is allowed). Lastly, describe the best program planning model (PRECEDE PROCEED Model or another appropriate program planning model) that is reflective of the organization’s services along with a rationale.
Note: This section should include appropriate scholarly sources (2 pages max). Tables, figures, and/or images (if any) should be referred to in this section, but should be added in appendices.
4. Epidemiology (Section 2) –Select ONEhealth issue that services are provided for by the focal organization, and provide a brief literature review of that health issue and detail the incidence; prevalence; population most affected by the health issue based on location; risk factors and behavior that contribute to the health issue; and current and pertinent research on the health issue.
Note: This section should include national, state/local scholarly sources and peer reviewed articles (3 pages max). A minimum of 12 references must be used.
5. Health Behavior Theory (Section 3)– In earlier sections, the organization, services, risk behavior, and populations served were discussed. Based on the literature, develop a theoretical framework or conceptual framework (diagram) that best represents the risk factors that are contributing to the health issue. You may use one theory/model (theoretical framework) or a combination of various constructs from theories/models (conceptual framework). Explain your diagram by providing an overview of the theory(ies) and/or constructs chosen, and justify your selected constructs through evidence-based literature. The theoretical framework or conceptual framework will utilize constructs to illustrate the barriers connected to the health issue and health behavior, and will serve as a basis for developing a goal and objectives in the next section.
Note: This section should be evidence-based, meaning accompanied with appropriate citations (2 pages max). Theoretical framework diagram or conceptual framework diagram should be referenced or discussed, but should be added to appendices.
6. Goal and Objectives (Section 4)– You are tasked with creating an evidence-based intervention or strategies that your focal organization (different from what is currently being done) can utilize to address the health needs of its priority population. Write one goal (relevant to the health issue and theory) and four objectives (one process, two impact, and one outcome), being mindful of the services that the organization provides and population served. Apply and link the appropriate construct(s) to your goal and objectives. At least one number, rate, or percentage of change must be evidence-based (taken from the literature).
Note: This section should not surpass a page (1 page max). Tip: For cohesiveness, start this section with a sentence that provides an overview of the strategy that the organization should consider, followed by the estimated length of the strategy.
7. Intervention/Strategy Development (Section 5)– In previous sections, you’ve provided a detailed overview of your internship site, an organization that is familiar to you. Develop a intervention or strategies (should align with your objectives and main construct(s) from previously suggested theory or theories) that could improve a problem area by outlining the steps needed for this change to take place. Select one of two options: A) If the problem involves educating people at the intrapersonal or interpersonal levels, consider health education campaigns or curriculum. You may propose a brand new education campaign/curriculum or adapt an existing education campaign/curriculum to address your health education needs. Either way, make sure to select and utilize evidence-based health education practices in your strategy. B) If the problem involves educating or changing communities (broadly defined) at the community, institutional, or public policy levels, consider community engaged approaches. This section (for both options A and B) must include community based participatory approaches (hint: think back to Community Health Action). In addition, detail important stakeholders, partners, and/or partnerships that are important for ensuring the success of your strategy or strategies. Create a logic model illustrating inputs, activities, and outcomes based on your strategy or strategies. Be sure to link your intervention strategies back to your construct(s) and objectives. In addition, estimate how much the proposed intervention strategies would cost and develop a detailed budget sheet. Lastly, develop an appropriate timeline that will detail the length of time this strategy or strategies would take.
Note: This section should include appropriate scholarly sources (5 pages max). Budget Sheet, Logic Model, Gantt Chart, and resource tables and/or figures should be referenced or discussed, but should be added to appendices.
8. Evaluation (Section 6)– In the previous section, you have described an intervention or strategies that combat an area where improvements could be made for your internship site. Describe how you would measure the effectiveness of your intervention strategies. Discuss evidence-based questionnaire items to specifically address the mentioned construct(s) and/or objectives. At least one measurement tool must be evidence-based, such as a previously tested reliable scale/index or a single item found in the literature to address construct(s) and/or objective(s). Ensure that each corresponding objective are clearly measured accurately. Quantitative and qualitative methods must be used for your evaluation efforts.
Note: Instruments should be referenced and discussed, but should be added to appendices. Instrument(s) taken from an outside source should be cited in the body of the paper and added to references and appendices (2 pages max).
• Theoretical/Conceptual Framework
• Gantt Chart
• Budget Sheet
• Strategy Logic Model
• Objective Measurement Table
• A Reliable/Valid Instrument
• Other Instruments Discussed in Paper