Assignment 3: Critical internet analysis and stakeholder map
In this assignment, you will consider a current issue, an industry or a policy relating to the Internet, and discussed in this unit, from the perspective of the “Three I”s” of ideas, interests and institutions.
Using theoretical concepts from your readings and independent research, you will consider this issue with reference to:
• Dominant ideas relating to the issue. How have they been shaped socially and historically? Are these ideas contested and/or did they differ between nations, cultures or social groups?
• Dominant interests in the area. Are there major companies involved in this area? Are there issues about how they operate? Are there competing business or other interests (e.g. trade unions, environmental groups, activist groups)? Are the technologies disruptive of an existing industry?
• Major governing institutions in the field. Are there government agencies with oversight in this area? Do companies have their own regulatory agencies? How accountable or transparent are the decisions that these groups make?
You will also produce an infographic (a flowchart or other diagram) that identifies and maps the relationship between ideas, interests and institutions to develop a stakeholder map around this issue, industry or policy.
You will provide a bibliography of all referenced works and should include at least 10 academic bibliographic references. You should use the APA referencing style.
Your chosen topic MUST be different to that which you researched for Assessment Item 2. Submitted essays on the same topic will receive a zero grade.
This assignment should demonstrate:
• a critical understanding of the history, politics, economics and cultures of the internet and internetworked technologies. 25 marks
• capacity for independent academic research, analysis and critique. 25 marks
• clarity and accuracy of argument. 25 marks
• explanatory power of accompanying infographic. 15 marks
• appropriate presentation (meets word count; accurate citation and referencing; correct spelling, punctuation and grammar). 10 marks
Submit your essay as a Word document copy via the Assessment 3 assessment link on Canvas. If any plagiarised or ghost-written material is detected you will receive no marks for this task.