More info on Assignment 2
Students are required to choose any one major scientific invention from the following list to base their Prezi on
– Maglev Trains
– Hydrogen Fuel cells
– Parker Solar Probe
– Artificial Pancreas
Assignment 2 consists of two components:
1. Analyse the background research that considers the scientific concept/s associated with the selected scientific invention (500 words, APA referencing format compulsory for in-text referencing and the reference list; use more than 5 sources)
2. Create a digital resource (Prezi) that considers scientific concepts associated with the selected invention (20 Slides including the references, APA not compulsory).
Component 1 Essay (maximum 500 words)
• Description of the history and development of the chosen invention
• Controversies related to the invention (if any)/ drawbacks of the invention (if any)/ethical issues related to the invention (if any). (Note that this depends on the invention you select)
• How it helps to improve the quality/dignity of human life and,
• Current research / future prospects in the field of the invention
Your essay should have a title that includes the name of the intervention. This written component should include a link to the Prezi (Component 2) you have created. Note that APA is compulsory is for the written part (for both in-text and reference list) and you should include minimum 5 sources.
Creating a Prezi
Component 2 Prezi (15-20 slides including references)
Imagine you are formally presenting the chosen invention to an audience. Your audience is first year degree students at Western Sydney University. They have done science at secondary level, but not necessarily at senior secondary level. In other words, they have a basic scientific knowledge only. This means they know basic concepts of various branches of science for example;
• Light and sound are forms of energy
• Sound is a mechanical wave and light is an electromagnetic wave.
• Gravity is one of the fundamental force that exists in the universe
• Matter is made of tiny particles called atoms.
You do not have to repeat these concepts in your Prezi, but you have to explain other concepts related to the invention if and when needed. Your presentation should be engaging and provide the audience with a thorough knowledge on the invention. The language should be academic. Though you can use fun fonts, colours, graphics and effects to enhance the presentation, note that the style should be formal, avoid too many ‘bells and whistles’’.
Your presentation should include but not restricted to the following
• What is your chosen invention? Where is it used? Who are the beneficiaries?
• How does it work?
• What are the related scientific concepts (you should show an understanding of specific scientific facts, terminology, principles, concepts and practical techniques)?
• You can include images/videos, diagrams, graphs, tables, and/ equations to support your presentation.
• What are the immediate benefits of the chosen invention /Interesting discoveries your invention has already contributed?
• What are the creative applications/ contributions your chosen invention is expected to do the advancement of human race?
References should be given, however APA is not compulsory for this section. https://library.westernsydney.edu.au/main/sites/default/files/cite_APA.pdf
See the assessment rubric for more details and the allocation of marks.
Further information (will be discussed in face to face lesson only if there is a need)
1. Number of sources
APA format is compulsory for the references in the essay part. Minimum five sources. Note that we need scholarly resources; however, this requires you referring to medical journals and those articles are not intended for degree students. Therefore, please refer to reliable websites such as CSIRO, BBC, ABC, NASA, NatGeo, Powerhouse Museum, National Museum of History… and documents published on reputed university sites.
For your convenience, APA referencing format is not compulsory for the Prezi part (you can still use it). There is no limit placed on the number of references also, however I am positive that you need at least 5 sources to make an authentic presentation.
We are not insisting on APA style for In- text citation in your presentations (as most of the materials are from various sources, including non-scholarly). However, remember to cite sources for direct quotations. This is compulsory. See an example http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/APABusiness/cite-in-presentation
Note that Images are copyrighted too. You need to show the reference below the image itself Image courtesy of [name of the image creator]. And in the reference list give the reference to the source.
2. Share your Prezi
On the 500 worded essay, as the last sentence give the link to your prezi, which will take the examiner to your Prezi. If you forgot to do so, you will be missing 25 marks. If your Prezi link is missing, we may find your Prezi is missing too late to give you a chance to resubmit. See the sample assignments.
3. Media files
You can attach audio and video files, however as you already know, keep their number to a minimum and use short media. Too many/too long video/audio never engages an audience with a presentation.
4. Please give your essay a title! Also there should be a title slide on your Prezi.
5. As Prezi Basic (free version) is open to public view, no need to give your name, student number and university name.
6. Samples are available on vUWS, note that the assignment topics are changed every semester.
The Prezi must have a ‘public’ setting. Otherwise we will not be able to access it and you may fail the assignment.
No need to give your name, student number and/or any other details on the Prezi.