Essay 2: Symbols of Canada through the lens of family history
Length: 1500 words, or 5-6 pages.
Value: 30% of final grade
For this essay, you will use your individual and/or family history as the basis of an analysis of
the material covered in Symbols of Canada.
• Think about your own history, and that of your family. It does not matter if this history
has occurred outside or largely outside of Canada, or if you and your family do not
define themselves as Canadian.
• Develop an analysis of the material discussed in Symbols of Canada through the lens of
your individual and/or family history. Do you see your own and your family’s history,
experience, values, or goals reflected in the symbols analyzed in Symbols of Canada? If
they are or are not, what does that tell us about those symbols, and whose histories and
identities are well-represented, how, and why?
• You should be able to summarize your analysis in a clear thesis statement that is
supported throughout the body of the essay. Your conclusion should restate the main
points of the essay.
• Document your sources in the Chicago style, or footnotes/endnotes and a bibliography.
See the guide here for specific examples:
• No additional research is required. You may want to do some research to help you
understand what is being commemorated, but your essay should not focus on general
information gleaned from online sources. When additional sources are consulted, they
should be properly documented. Your essay should focus on developing a critical
analysis of your own history and demonstrating your understanding of Symbols of
• If you do not want to write about your own history and/or family, please see Adele for
Essay 2 Rubric
Basic Requirements Does not meet
Essay is the specified length
(approximately 5-6 pages typed
and double-spaced in 12 pt font)
Essay analyses Symbols of Canada
through the lens of individual or
Content, Argument, Format &
Does not meet
(B+ to A+)
Essay has a clear thesis and a
Essay demonstrates a good
understanding of the
commemoration and Symbols of
Essay uses Chicago style
Essay’s sentences are clear and grammatically correct, wording is
intelligible, spelling and
punctuation are correct.