Create electronic presentations
Why is it necessary to have a working knowledge of the legislation involved in business?
How can you add content presentation from outline view?
How should you decide a slide’s content?
What impact can the colours used in a presentation have on an audience?
Why should you avoid including too many different features in a PowerPoint presentation?
ASSESSMENT 2: Case Study
Please read the case and respond to all the assessment questions. You can provide your answers under each question.
As an administrative assistant working for ABC Company, you are frequently required to prepare documents and manage files for Customer Service Manager (your trainer) in a way that complies with organisational requirements.
Your manager requires you to prepare a number of documents, one of them being a brochure for new office supplies store in Queensland. You have been provided with office supplies information texts below and the relevant organisation documents, eg Ergonomics procedures, Sustainability environmental policy and WHS policy.
You also required to use specific and direct language, and listening and questioning techniques to clarify the assessment requirement with your trainer.
Address: 8 Sunny Road, Brisbane QLD 4000
Ph: 07 3402 3829
Fax: 07 3240 2930
We are able to supply a range of paper products in various quantities to suit your business needs. We are able to supply paper in A4, A3 and A5 sizes. We stock Reflex, Double A and HP Everyday paper in a range of colours and weights.
• HP Everyday only A4, pastel colours and 80 gsm
• Double A, all sizes, white only, 50 and 80 gsm
• Reflex, A4 bright colours and A4 & A3 white 50 gsm
Envelopes are essential for all businesses. We offer a complete range of envelopes, including plain and window face in glue and peel and seal. A range of sizes are available, including DL, DLX, C4 and 11B from both Tudor and Easy-open Premium.
• Tudor DLX, C4 and 11B
• Easy-open Premium DL, C4 & 11B
Pens and pencils
We stock the largest range of pens in the state and have something to suit every purpose. We stock ballpoint, roller ball, gel ink and felt-tip writing pens. Our range of markers and highlighters include permanent markers, thick and thin highlighters, whiteboard, overhead projector and CD markers.
Traditional lead pencils are available in a variety of weights and coloured pencils are also stocked. Pacers and other mechanical pencils, including refills, are available in both small and bulk quantities.
Pen and pencil brands stocked include:
• Faber Castell
Folders and files
We can supply stationery for any situation. Select from our great range of binders and clipboards, lever-arch binders, sheet protectors and dividers. We can also provide filing cabinet supplies from suspension files to labels.
Your archiving needs are also covered with our range of storage boxes, including coloured and economy box files, heavy duty and hinged lid and a full range of plastic storage boxes.
Whether your organisation needs to give presentations to employees or clients we have the equipment to meet your needs. We stock a range of overhead projectors and supplies, including bulbs. We can also supply trolleys and custom-fitted carry bags for your equipment.
Screens and whiteboards are available in either portable or wall-mounted styles in various shapes to suit your needs. Custom whiteboards are now also available with borders featuring the images and photos of your choice and make a practical and beautiful addition.
Our range of supplies also includes overhead transparencies and pens, whiteboard pens, dusters and magnet markers.
We can also supply binder machines and supplies to suit both small and large jobs. Special discounts may be available for bulk purchases.
We stock a range of workstations and desks, including mobile (on wheels), straight and corner. We have access to a range of suppliers’ products and can find a desk to suit your needs. A range of finishes and colours are stocked, including wood-grain, glass, black or grey, allowing us to supply desks to suit
any office décor.
Modern workstations have many options, including adjustable keyboard trays, printer and scanner slots and built-in computer tower positions. Many models also offer built-in drawers and filing cabinets and include modesty panels, which are perfect for modern, open-plan offices.
Desks can be supplied assembled or in flat packs. We also have an onsite installation service available on request.
Chairs play a vital role in ensuring the health and safety of employees. We stock a large range to ensure you can choose the right chair for each person. Many of the chairs in our range can be colour-coordinated to give your office a professional modern look. Our range includes ergonomic, executive, leather, folding and stacking chairs and stools. We also stock lounges and lounge chairs suitable for use in your reception or waiting area.
We can also supply chair and entrance mats to protect your carpets and floors. Options include carpet grip underside, flat underside and ramped edges to all chairs to easily roll on and off mats. Select from our range of sizes or order custom mats cut to order.
We can provide office storage, including bookcases for any office size. Many of our models offer adjustable shelf sizes to comfortably fit in any book or folder. Brands include Soho, Espirit and Omega. Bookcases are available in traditional closed-in styles and modern open-ended styles. We also stock a large range of bookends.
Computers and accessories
We have computing packages and components to do the job. We supply a range of desktop and laptop machines and our experienced IT technicians can even supply and configure a server for your office. We stock a full range of popular brands, including HP, Toshiba and Acer. Upgrades are available on all machines on offer and this is a great way to increase your RAM and processing speed. See our website for our full range of specials.
We are authorised resellers of Microsoft products, including the award-winning MS Office and FrontPage. We also supply the range of Symantec products, including Norton’s Security and Antivirus. We have your accounting needs covered with our range of MYOB and QuickBooks software. Academic pricing is available with student or teacher ID card.
We have a large range of printers on display, including inkjet and laser models. Whether you need a low-volume inkjet printer, a multi-centre or high-quality, high-volume laser printer we can find the perfect printer for your needs. Brands stocked include Canon, HP, Lexmark, Brother and Panasonic. We also stock ink and toner cartridges to meet your needs.
Undertake the following tasks and respond to the questions as required.
1. Use Microsoft Publisher to create a two-page brochure for ABC Office Supplies using the information provided above. Your brochure must include the following features:
• Company name, logo, address, phone number, fax number, email address and web address
• Use of styles for headings and text – you must format the text so it is clear, attractive and professional
• A footer on each page that includes the company name and the page number and number of pages
• Section breaks and at least 2 different numbers of columns in the document (for example, one column in one section and 2 columns in another section)
• Graphics to show the office equipment and supplies that are available – you do not have to include a picture for every office equipment and supplies category, but there must be at least 6 graphics in your document
• Proofread and make necessary changes according to assessor’s feedback
1.1. State the audience of the brochure and the purpose
1.2. Describe how you structured the brochure to use the space effectively.
1.3. Describe the design aspects of your brochure; for example, white space, graphics and page design. Give at least 3 examples of how you have effectively applied these design aspects in the brochure.
1.4. Give 2 examples of your effective use of design elements in creating the brochure.
1.5. Give examples of at least 2 automatic software functions that you used to ensure consistency throughout the brochure.
1.6. Write a list of tasks that need to be completed to produce the brochure.
1.7. Give 2 examples of advanced software functions you used in producing the brochure.
1.8. Provide at least one draft of the document that displays your user of editing marks for proofreading and editing the brochure.
Save the draft document as Draft brochure
Save the final document as Final brochure
1.9. Give one example of how you overcome a problem using Word when creating the brochure. You may have used manuals, the Help function, the internet or other to assist you.
1.10. Explain the strategies you used when creating or storing the documents to minimise the risk of data loss.
1.11. Store the document in an appropriate way. Explain how you have done this.
2. You are responsible for ensuring that you take appropriate breaks from word processing and other data entry task. How often should you take a break from these types of tasks during the working day? Refer to the ergonomics procedures and WHS policy.
3. A work colleague is experiencing continued wrist pain when she is word processing. Review the ergonomics procedures to determine what actions should be taken to address this WHS issue.
4. Outline the work practices you could use to conserve paper and energy in the workplace.
5. Us Microsoft Word to create a letter template and save the template as Letter template
• Use the company logo
• A4 paper is used for printing all letters
• Avoid too much blank space at the top and bottom of documents or at the sides. The printer will not print any information that is within 1 cm of the left and right edges of the page or within 0.75 cm of the top and bottom edges
6. Using the document based on your new letter template, produce the following mail merge
• Refer to the letter contents below
We are writing to remind you that you currently have an outstanding account with our company. Our monthly review of clients’ account balances shows that you owe $
We would also like to remind you that we do offer discounts for prompt payment of accounts at the following rates:
• Payment within three working days 7.5%
• Payment within seven working days 5%
• Payment within 14 working days 2%
We are confident that your current overdue balance is just an oversight and look forward to receiving payment within the next five working days.
Should you wish to query this account or discuss this matter with our Accounts Department, please contact us during our business hours, which are Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
If you have paid this account in the last couple of days, please disregard this letter.
• Refer to the recipient data below:
First name Surname Amount owed $ Due date Postal address City State postcode
Andy Parsons 120 11 Feb PO Box 1 Brisbane QLD 4000
Mark Smith 240 13 Feb PO Box 2 Brisbane QLD 4000
Marry Carter 360 16 Feb PO Box 3 Brisbane QLD 4000
• Ensure you include the data and recipient’s details in the appropriate places on the letter
• Save the merged letters as Merged letters
7. Use another software instead of Microsoft Word to create a table for this next task. After you complete this task, paste your final table under this question.
• Create a table using the information below:
Suppliers Office World Technology Express
Printers Electro PNC1244 laser printer
Warranty 12 months
Toner refill price $55.00
Printer speed 14 ppm
Resolution 600 dpi
Paper tray capacity 250 sheets
Dimensions 370W x 251D x 215 H mm
Weight 5300 g
Lockwood ENZ200 laser printer
Warranty 12 months
Toner refill price $52.00
Printer speed 21 ppm
Resolution 2400 dpi
Paper tray capacity 175 sheets
Dimensions 371 W x 361D x 165H mm
Weight 6500 g
• Add an additional row to the table between ‘Paper tray capacity’ and ‘Dimensions’ called ‘Wifi connectivity’. Data to be added for the two printers (from left to right) is Yes and No.
• Add an additional column to the table to enter below information about another printer
Suppliers Office World Technology Express
Printers Star duo laser printer
Warranty 12 month
Toner refill price $48.00
Printer speed 14 ppm
Resolution 1200 dp
Paper tray capacity 100 sheets
WiFi connectivity No
Dimensions 380W x 261D x 220 H mm
Weight 5800 g
8. An ergonomist reviews your work colleague’s workstation and her work habits and believes the wrist pain can be avoided by adopting a better posture and by doing specific arm and wrist exercises. Your colleague does this for a while and the wrist problem begins to re-emerge because she is not doing the exercises as often as required. Our colleague decides she needs an ergonomic keyboard to help deal with the issue, but is not getting support from her supervisor to purchase one. Examine the WHS policy, the ergonomics procedures, the WHS regulations and the Hazardous manual tasks code of practice and advise your colleague of what her responsibilities as a worker are on this matter. (also refer to ‘hazardous manual tasks code of practice’ and ‘model work health and safety regulations’ at www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/swa)
9. Write a memo, design ABC company’s letterhead, advising your manager (trainer) of an upcoming meeting to discuss when to do your presentation to show your brochure which you have designed. Consider what would you do to ensure the memo would go into the intended recipients. You need to check make sure your memo for suitability of tone for audience, purpose, format and communication style. Also check for readability, grammar, punctuation, spelling and sentence and parashah construction.
10. Create a presentation on introducing ABC Company’s office supply services using Microsoft PowerPoint for the company. Submit the presentation and associated handouts. Make sure you cover:
• Identify audience of the document and choose the right communication style
• Identify purpose of the document (introduce this in the beginning)
• ABC Company’s presentation requirements are:
– One heading per slide
– All headings to be Arial and all text to be Times New Roman
– All headings to be bold and in font size 24
– All text to be in font size 16
– Use square bullet points
– Logo on each page
– Insert page number
• Ask assessor to proofread your design. Gather feedback and change according to the feedback
Yes/ No with comments Items
It is a formal style and explained the purpose of the document
Design slides, notes and handout masters to incorporate organisational and task requirements in relation to image and preferred style, avoiding distractions; for example, style used like logo and colour
Use software functions for consistency of design and layout, to meet identified presentation requirements
Balance presentation features for visual impact and emphasis, consistency of design; no distractions, for example too many fonts, too many words
Consistent transition or differing between slides
Prepare presentations within designated time lines
Check presentation for spelling, consistency in presentation features and style, in accordance with task requirements
Print presentation materials and save as pdf file
Store presentation and exit the application without information loss or damage
Listen to audience’s questions and discuss to exchange information